(NewsGlobal.com)- Last week, San Francisco District Attorney Brooke Jenkins confirmed that her office allowed some members of the Pelosi family to listen to the 911 call and view the bodycam footage from the October 28 attack on Paul Pelosi. At the same time, Jenkins signaled that this information would not be released to the public any time soon.
Jenkins told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer last Wednesday that “limited members” of the Pelosi family were being permitted to view the footage and ask “certain questions.” She did not say which Pelosi family members were given access to the evidence.
Jenkins also defended law enforcement’s decision not to release the material to the public, telling Blitzer that her focus is on protecting the investigation and obtaining a successful prosecution.
Jenkins argued that releasing the footage and 911 call to the media would not be appropriate. She said her office would “make sure that we limit the evidence as much as possible” to ensure the suspect is held accountable “for these egregious acts.”
The alleged attacker, 42-year-old David DePape, a Canadian national in the country illegally, pleaded not guilty to the state charges Jenkins’ office filed, including attempted murder, residential burglary, assault with a deadly weapon, elder abuse, false imprisonment of an elder, and threats to a public official.
According to Jenkins, if he is found guilty, DePape could face between 13 years to life in prison.
Jenkins also told Blitzer that law enforcement found nothing in DePape’s criminal history “that would have led anybody to believe that he was capable of what he ultimately did.”
She claimed that DePape’s attack was “politically motivated,” and he “planned to do violence” against Speaker Pelosi and others “in political leadership” both in California and Washington.
During his bail hearing last Friday, San Francisco Superior Court Judge Loretta Giorgi ordered that DePape must remain in jail awaiting his trial. Judge Giorgi also set a preliminary hearing in the case for December 14.